Tuesday, June 21, 2011

RIP Ryan Dunn

While I was not in any way, shape or form a fan of the whole Jackass thing, I was saddened by the news of Ryan Dunn's passing.

While viewing the story on Yahoo, I was shocked to see the amount of responses from people putting this man down, calling him names, celebrating his death. These are people who apparently have no heart, no sympathy and no empathy much less any sense of tact or decorum. When is a violent, painful death ever a cause for celebration? When is a life cut short ever a cause to ridicule or hurt the family and friends of the deceased? Have they no shame? Since when did they become a the judge of anyone?

It really irritates me, as a Christian, that people calling themselves Christians would act in such a way. That is exactly why the world has such a horrible view of Christians in general and I would like to say that the ones acting in such a manner are absolutely NOT lovers of Jesus Christ. A true Christian does not act in such a self-righteous manner and does not celebrate the loss of one of God's sheep.

Do I agree with everything that this man has done in his life? NO. But, am I one to point fingers or throw stones? Absolutely not! What makes any sin of mine less than the sins of anyone else? I, too, have fallen short of the Glory Of God.

If I had met Ryan Dunn during his time on earth, would I have turned up my nose at him and refused to befriend him because of the way he led his life? Absolutely NOT! He was a child of God, regardless of whether he knew this or not, regardless of whether he had accepted the gift of salvation or not.

In the end, we are all just people. Nothing more, nothing less. We all have hopes, dreams, feelings and we all do the best that we know how. Ryan Dunn had many people who loved him dearly. He had family, friends, fans. And at this moment, their hearts are broken. The depths of their pain are unimaginable and they should be loved and comforted. They should never be taunted and tortured by mean, rude and insensitive comments posted on the Internet, in print, on tv or in person.

Let me ask you how you would feel if you lost someone you loved? Put the shoes on the other food, for God's sake! If you truly are a Christian, imagine it was your child or brother or husband who had yet to be saved. How would YOU feel?? Why would it be worse for you than it is for the loved ones of Ryan Dunn? Why are you not keeping everyone affected by this in your prayers, lifting them up and asking for God's peace, healing and enlightenment? How will you feel when you stand before the God you say you represent and are responsible for one of His sheep rejecting His free Gift of salvation because of YOUR actions and hurtful words? What do you think your reward for THAT will be? Think about it!

In closing, I want to extend my deepest sympathies to those who are hurting from the loss of this man and his passenger. I pray that you find comfort, peace and healing in this time of mourning. My heart goes out to every one of you and breaks for you as well. I pray that you feel the love and acceptance of the God who knows you better than anyone here on earth ever will and feels your pain as deeply as you do right now.